This draft was developed in consultation with public workers in Iowa (SEIU & AFSCME) at CDPH (CAPS, AFSCME& SEIU 1000 members) and SF Superior Court (SEIU 1021) members & retirees. Of course this draft is State worker specific but with minor site specific changes it is being used in Iowa and SF county. I intend to run for CAPS office on this program. I propose that this program be adopted by the Inter Union Organizing Committee. Co-workers who agree with this platform are asked to sign on to the Fighting Union Caucus of State workers. The more affiliate union members that sign on the more powerful the caucus becomes.
Charles Rachlis (415) 205-0359(c)
DRAFT: Declaration of the Inter-Union Organizing Committee
The CDPH Inter-Union Organizing Committee announces its intention to unite California State workers (in particular), public workers in general and all workers in action to form fighting rank and file caucuses to take our unions back from the sell outs who have proven incapable of defending our wages, benefits, and working conditions. Those who sell concessionary contracts to the membership and tell us to “share the pain” are doing the work of the bosses in the workers’ organizations. The fighting rank and file Caucuses declare for the historic interest of the entire working class against the interest of the labor tops who chain us to management!
Those who tell us, “our union” only represents the current dues-payers have abandoned the Knights of Labor’s clarion call: “An injury to one is the concern of all!” Today’s professional labor misleaders are class traitors acting as agents of the bosses in our organizations. We must ask: When did the rank and file vote to abandon the pensioners, the unorganized, our future co-workers, the marginalized, and the oppressed? The majority of our interests are not so unique to our bargaining units that they can be defended if we don’t unite and fight with and for those, in like conditions, those who came before us, those who will come to work with us in the future and the entire working class!
We reject the strategy that ties our unions to the corporate rulers through the political machines of the Democratic and the Republican parties. We demand an end to funding their campaigns and instead demand funding our strike funds and our own campaigns! We reject the failed strategy placing labors’ faith in the courts and the lobbyists while abandoning workers’ strongest weapons: the indefinite strike, the general strike, the worksite occupation and unity in action of the entire working class. Today’s misleaders isolate labor they deny the fact that union’s have real power only when we organize class wide. By so doing they divide the 9% of the organized working class from the 91% of unorganized workers. Notice how quickly they dropped the fight for the Employee Free Choice Act. Notice how they do not fight nor have a plan to end unemployment. Notice how they have not organized unemployed leagues or anti-eviction and anti-foreclosure action committees.
Our task is not to admonish or convince the current crop of labor fakers, rather our task is to drive them from office and rise up a new generation of leaders to take back our unions, establish the political independence of labor, defeat the anti-labor laws and fight for the historic interests of the entire working class.
Fight for a workers’ economy!
What the fighting rank and file California state workers caucus stands for:
1. Rank and file control via the mechanism of regular meetings and the right to the immediate recall of officers. Build a strong stewards movement to organize, activate and defend each worker in each unit. Democratic trade unions where no officer is paid higher than the highest wage of the workers they represent.
2. For picket lines that no one crosses! Arm the unions with the strike weapon! Revive the class struggle tactics that built the unions: mass picket lines, sit-down strikes, flying picket squads, hot-cargo goods, general strikes and indefinite general strikes and defiance of the bosses’ courts/laws. Defy the injunctions! Smash Taft-Hartley and all other anti-labor laws through militant labor struggle! “The only illegal strike is the one that loses!” No to binding arbitration!
3. For a workers’ party to fight for a workers’ government! Break with the Democrats/Republicans! Run labor candidates on a fighting labor platform including the transitional demand found in our caucus platform.
4. No layoffs and no furloughs! For united AFSCME,SEIU Local 1000,IUOE 39,CDF, CAPS, PECGS,CAPT,CAPD, opposition to state budget cuts! Jerry Brown gave us 9 unions we need one-BUILD ONE STATE WORKERS UNION with multiple units. For united negotiations, one master contract, and a united expiration date. Organize contract workers at full union wages and benefits. End outsourcing and privatization hire existing long term contract workers to the public institutions they work for! Build strike funds!
5. The right to a job is the right of every worker. Fight for full employment. For a 30 hour workweek at 40 hours pay to share existing work! No contract without annual COLA to keep pace with inflation! For retroactive COLA for the last 10 yrs. No to two-tier wage and benefit systems or second-class workers! No concessions, no givebacks and no “shared sacrifice”! No Lay-offs. No Furloughs. Make the bosses pay!
6. Organize the unorganized “wall-to-wall”! Build unemployed leagues allied with the unions to fight for relief for the unemployed! Build local union affiliates of all laid off public workers. Provide union training for the unemployed, direct the newly trained to worker controlled public works programs!
7. Organize undocumented and documented immigrant workers. For immediate full citizenship rights for all immigrants! Down with I.C.E./employer IMAGE program! No deportations! Down with English-only bigotry! The bosses super exploit undocumented labor and use them to drive down wages, labor must embrace and organize the undocumented. Across boarders we demand same work same contract! Make the bosses pay immigrant workers the same benefits, the same employment taxes and workers compensation!
8. Defend Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and welfare programs. Not “tax the rich” welfare state schemes but open the books of finance capital, nationalize banks and major industry without compensation and run them under workers’ control. For a system of public works to rebuild the decaying infrastructure.
9. For full union democracy. Capitalist courts out of the unions. No lawsuits against the unions. Labor must clean its own house!
10. For international labor solidarity! For joint Canadian, American, Mexican and Central American labor struggle! Down with “Buy American” anti-Chinese campaigns and other chauvinist protectionism. Down with U.S. imperialism! U.S. out of the Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan! Hands off Libya!
11. End discrimination in housing and employment. Down with racist cop harassment and brutality! For labor, Black and Brown self defense guards to stop the KKK/Nazis and racist police terror!
12. Free quality healthcare for all! Free reproductive services to include free abortion on demand! For free 24-hour childcare. Full democratic rights for gays/lesbians/transgender including the right to marriage.
13. For racially integrated quality public education. Free public higher education with a student stipend. Labor ally with students to defend public education! For teachers, staff, student control of education.
14. Housing is a right! Mobilize labor to stop evictions and foreclosures through rent strikes and blockades! Seize foreclosed housing and abandoned building for the homeless and displaced.
15. An injury to one is an injury to all! Mobilize labor to defend Sean Gillis, Dorian Maxwell and all whistleblowers! Defend Bay Area ILWU Local 10! Unite workers’ community and labor in joint defense.
Organizational affiliation for personal identification purposes only
Fighting Union Caucus composed of members of SEIU Local 1000, AFSCME & CAPS
- have you arrived? June 29, 2018
- colorful? July 22, 2016
- Expressed July 22, 2016
- The Governor is using CAPS and PECG against all state workers September 14, 2015
- CAPS THE BUDGET AND LOW BALL BARGAINING January 9, 2015
- 16,101 hits
Top Posts & Pages
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Black workers
- By The Mad Scientist
- California Budget
- Class Struggle
- ILWU 21
- Inter-Union Organizing Committee
- State Worker Contract 2013
- union democracy
- United Public Workers for Action
- Wisconsin workers movement
- Workers Forum